Back to Basics - Daily Activity

Bootcampers 🙌

We have been a Bootcamp family for 5 months now 😁💪

Whilst attending my sessions is clearly very good for your health and the best thing you could do for yourself (🤣) I thought I'd put pen to paper to address some of the basics and will endeavour to task myself with writing a weekly blog style post for you.

All guidelines say we should be physically active every day. I find a great way to do this, without factoring in exercise, is to increase your step count each day. With 3 Peaks planning I have set the group a target of 10,000 steps every day. This is the gold standard and one we should all be trying to adopt.

This can give some people the fear if for instance you are tracking, on average , 5,000 steps per day. You may worry about how on earth you can double your step count. What I would suggest to you is trying to increase your steps on a weekly basis by 1,000 so that you can start making changes gradually which will mean in the long term that you will stick to them.

I urge you all to track your steps over the next week in order to give you a baseline. Then work out a plan from there to get you moving towards the 10,000 steps.

As an example, say you are lucky enough to wake up at 8AM each day and go to bed at 10PM. You are awake for 14 hours.

10,000 steps over the 14 hours is only 714 steps per hour.

Simple things we all know to increase your step count could be as simple as taking the stairs, parking further away, walking to the local shops, walking the kids to school and going to another Bootcamp session (the plugs will stop soon I promise!!), attending walking club, running club, the gym...

If you can't get outside to be amongst the beauty of our world or attend other exercise sessions outside of your sessions with me, there are certain things at our disposal to help us hit that magic number and improve our fitness and activity levels.

Clearly increasing your exercise schedule will help, however we all lead busy lives and this may not always be possible due to work / family commitments.

Now, I am a bit OCD and tend to count things...I know I have 13 steps in my house and therefore 1 stair run = 26 steps.

If you were to set an hourly alarm on your phone throughout waking hours and complete 6 stair runs an hour, you would increase your step count by 2184.

This, with the improved focus on your step count throughout the day should mean you start feeling and noticing changes and moving closer to that 10,000.

If this is a change you can adopt, your body will thank you for it.

In addition to being more physically active every day, and when trying to make lifestyle changes, make sure you are making changes that are sustainable and are actually lifestyle changes and not quick fixes. This will benefit you more in the long term.

On that note, I will get off my soap box! I know this is basic stuff and I really want to ensure this stuff is covered so that we are all doing the right things to get us to our goals. It's not all about killing yourself in the gym or extreme diets. Consistency pays off and making sustainable lifestyle choices is the best thing you can do.

Little steps people 🏃‍♀️

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Back to Basics - core conditioning and posture

My relationship with food